This morning, we shared an interesting session, and I am grateful for having had the opportunity to share the time with you. We talked of many things:
- Reviewing the grading; comparing our techniques and strategies with others. We must always remember to focus on our own skills, our own development and our own progress; while comparing ourselves to others provides some sort of benchmark, we must remember that everybody has their own lessons to learn through training, and that the best student is the one who makes the best of themselves, rather than he or she who is strongest or fastest.
- Deadweight and dropping your bodyweight, to boost your striking power, to break your opponent’s balance and to regain your own.
- The power of presence: Taking your space and commanding authority.
- What does a grading mean? What does a Bushido cross mean?
- Techniques: Hooks… uppercuts… taking the centre with a changeover mae geri (front kick)… prop front kicks…
- What are we doing? Where are we going? What is the future of the martial arts, especially the freestyle martial arts, in Queensland, and how can they serve our training purposes?
- Paul’s black belt grading…
I will be looking to do some video recording over the next few weeks to clarify and expand upon some of our ideas and training techniques… let me know what you would like to know.