The Project 50 – Fifty Ways to Transform Every “Task” into a Project that Matters
Written by Tom Peters, Published in 1999.
Part I: Create
- Reframe. Never – ever – accept a project/ assignment as given.
- Translate your daily experiences into ‘cool stuff to do’. Look for ways to learn – Golden Learning Opportunities
- Use the word “WOW!”
- Adopt an attitude that there are no small projects… then remember that any activity can be converted into a WOW!
- Put on the brakes – if the project won’t be Memorable/ Braggable/ WOW! then ditch it quickly.
- Design the project until you love it.
- Make the project beautiful.
- Beauty/ Grace/ Friendliness/ Identity/ WOW/ Magical Moments: Design it to make it happen
- Make the project Revolutionary
- Use the web to spice it up
- Impact: Make it Matter… you can count on pissing a few people off.
- Create RAVING FANS – Clients who L-O-V-E your stuff… Especially women (including explicitly catering to their needs).
- Go on a Crusade!
- Make your environment work for you – have a cachet of goodies!
- Does your WOW project sing to you from your resume?
- Work with a team of diverse people
- Treat the WOW Project like a small business
- Make deadlines!
- Find a Wise Friend: You need a counselor
- Network – use your team… co-conspirators. Think “user” from the start.
- Carry a little card that reads “WOW!/ BEAUTIFUL!/ REVOLUTIONARY!/ IMPACT!/ RAVING FANS!
Part II: Sell
- Sales: Brevity – create a succcint WOW Project sales pitch. Metaphor time
- Sell to anyone and everyone at all levels in the organisation
- BUZZtime is all the time
- Expand the network – do your ‘community work’
- Supporters are supporters, no matter when they sign on.
- Look after your friends
- Forget your enemies
- Create an Advisory Board: MASTERMIND… you are as cool as the cool people who are seen to be supporting you
- Live lite – get rid of the crap
- Test and prototype and reinvent the concept – FAST
Part III: Implement
- Chunk – test – try
- Live, Eat, Sleep, Breathe, Prototype! Create a culture of prototyping!
- Get feedback fast! Especially from the ‘real world’
- Blow it up and start again
- Recruit the best – continuously!Humor: laugh as you work!
- Create a Master Document
- Make short lists – get rid of useless information
- Timeline – reign supreme.Wanted: Ms. Last Two Percent – finishing fanaticism is what separates ‘pretty good’ from ‘WOW’
- 15 minute meetings – get in and get out Fast.The succinct, summary morning meeting matters!
- Celebrate – success is obvious, though also failure as a stepping stone to success!
- Don’t let the exigencies of “implementation” distract you from WOW!
- WOW Projects have identity, spirit, personality: focus on these
- Embrace the suits – cast the fan club net more broadly
- Focus on the user – more than ever now
- Concoct a Buzz Management Program: Permanent Campaign.Implementation = Marketing
Part IV: Exit
- Mainstream the idea and get out!Take succession planning seriously.
- Seed your freaks into the mainstream… spread the word of WOW!
- Write up your WOW Project.CelebrateMove on to the next WOW Project!