Written by Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman…
- Includes 12 questions for measuring workplace strength.
- Always draw the best from the people around you.
- Select for talent to get the right person.
- Define the right outcomes to make clear expectations
- Focus on strengths to expand and motivate the person
- Find the right fit to develop them
Facets of Selection
- Knowledge – information and awareness (factual or experiential)
- Skill – how to do something, trainable, basics
- Talent – hardwired patterns: why (motivations), how (thinking patterns) and who (people/relationships)
- Also look at competencies, habits, attitudes and drive
- Spend the most time with your best people
- Handle weaknesses: create a support system (like spectacles), find a partner to help or find an alternative role.
- Clues to talent – rapid learning, personal satisfactions
Keys to Talent
Outcome focus; Value world-class performance in every role; Study the best; Teach the language of greatness.